You must be registered to search, reply, and for full board access. We rely on the community to provide Solutions to errors reported.

Your Social Security Card

Errors reported across the Internet.
Post Reply
Site Admin
Posts: 6470
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Your Social Security Card

Post by thaterrormessage »

The Social Security number shown on your card is yours alone. Do not allow others to use your number as their own. Record your number in a safe place in case your card is lost or stolen. Protect both your card and your number to prevent their misuse.

You should contact us to update your Social Security number and benefit record (if you are entitled) if your name, your U.S. citizenship status, or your status as an alien in the U.S. changes. You will need to file an application for a replacement Social Security card and provide proof of identity, and we may request other evidence supporting the change.

Show your card to your employer when you start a new job. Make sure your employer uses the same name and number exactly as it is shown on your Social Security card so we can record your earnings correctly.

Some private organizations use Social Security numbers for record keeping purposes. Such use is neither required nor prohibited by Federal law. The use of your Social Security number by such an organization for its own records is a private matter between you and the organization. Private organizations cannot get information from your Social Security record just because they know your number.
Any government agency that asks for your number must tell you: whether giving it is mandatory or voluntary, its authority for requesting the number, and how the number is used.

If you are an alien without permission to work in the U.S., your Social Security card will be marked "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT." We will notify U.S. immigration officials if you use the number to work.

If you are an alien legally in the U.S. with temporary permission to work, your Social Security card will be marked "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION." If you show this card to an employer as evidence of employment eligibility, you will also have to show your U.S. immigration document authorizing employment.

You should contact Social Security right away for benefits if you become disabled, reach retirement age or are about to attain age 65.
You can reach us at 1-800-772-1213 or through our website at

Social Security Administration
Form SSA-300 (08-2011)
*READ COMMENTS TO FIND SOLUTIONS. We are the bible of Internet error messages - we rely on the community to acknowledge issues happening and their fixes. Hold software providers accountable! Reply below - must be Registered
Post Reply